Henri Verhoef (1990, Harderwijk) is an Amsterdam based image maker whose work evolves around socially constructed ideas about masculinity.
In creating imagery he finds control. His stylized portraiture is known for it’s technical perfection and tremendous eye for detail. Sculpting the faces of his subjects with light, he looks for theatricality combined with stillness, finished off with an artificial gloss.
2010-2014 BA Photography, Royal Academy of Arts, The Hague
2008-2009 European Studies, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam
Levi's, Jaguar, De Volkskrant, Toneelgroep Oostpool, TopNotch, Internationaal Theater Amsterdam, Keplerfilm, Gemeente Groningen, AVROTROS, Roze Filmdagen, de Correspondent, SchuellerdeWaal, Winq Magazine, Koninklijke Schouwburg Den Haag,
EXHIBITIONS AND FAIRS
- Group Exhibition 'Eyes on Robert' at Melkweg Expo, June - July '19, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ' Superproud' at Wieden+Kennedy, August - October '18, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Rugby is my Pride’, Reguliersdwarsstraat street exhibtion, June ’18, Amsterdam [NL]
- Print Auction, 'What's good?', Melkweg Expo, May '16, Amsterdam [NL]
- Duo Exhibition with Daan Liu, 'AGNS X The Print Factory', November/December '15, Concrete Store, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Kunstroute Kralingen Crooswijk’ with ‘The Photograduates’, October ’15, Rotterdam[NL]
- On display at Art The Hague with The Print Factory, October '15, Fokker Terminal, The Hague [NL]
- On display at de Modefabriek with Majke Husstege Gallery, July 15, de RAI, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Route du Nord’ with ‘The Photograduates’, June ’15, the Hofpoort, Rotterdam[NL]
- Group exhibition ‘Beeldschoon’ with ‘The Photograduates’, February ’15, WTC Art Gallery, Rotterdam [NL]
- Solo exhibition ‘Become: The Exaltation Of Individuality’, January - February ’15, Melkweg Expo, Amsterdam [NL]
- On display at PAN Art Fair with Majke Husstege Gallery, November ’14, RAI, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Art Release’, November ’14, Palmstudio, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group and solo Exhibition ‘International Photo Festival Leiden, October ’14, Leiden [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Photoville’, October ’14, Brooklyn, New York [USA]
- Group Exhibition ‘The Lodge’, September ’14, UNSEEN, Amsterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘7 alumni’, September - October ’14, Cokkie Snoei Gallery, Rotterdam [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘New Steps’, September ’14, Haagse Kunstkring, The Hague [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Oogst’, July ’14, Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, The Hague [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Graduation Festival, July ’14, Royal Academy of Art, The Hague [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘Kleinschalig’, December ’13, Nutshuis, The Hague [NL]
- Group Exhibition ‘LOOK’, January ’13, The Hague [NL]
FEATURES AND PRESS
De Volkskrant, feature + article, de gay in games, featuring 'gay sports'
OutTV, tv interview about the 'Rugby is my Pride' exhibition during the Bingham Cup 2018, featuring 'Union'
i-D/Vice, interview + feature, 'imponerende foto's van gay-rugby spelers' featuring 'Union'
De Correspondent, article 'Waarom vrouwen wel boksen maar mannen niet aan Zumba doen' featuring Man Up
SSBA Salon, artist feature, 'Henri Verhoef - Exalted Individuality'
The Post Online, artist feature, 'Henri Verhoef - Reconstructing Identities'
Radio interview at 'Kunst en Cultuur' at Amsterdam FM (in dutch) on my solo exhibition 'Become: the Exaltation of Individuality' at Melkweg Expo. Listen overhere.
Wandering Bears, 'New Perspectives in Dutch Photography', by Gemma Padley. Read article overhere.
NRC Next (national newspaper), 'Tip of the week', on 'Become: the Exaltation of Individuality' at Melkweg Expo.
New Dawn, on 'Become: the Exaltation of Individuality' at Melkweg Expo.
Villa La Repubblica (online), on 'Man Up' at Graduation Festival KABK.
Fuel for Life Magazine, portfolio feature + interview. Online version here.
For inquiries, bookings, or any other questions/remarks, please email or call: